This is the start of a new project. My goal is to find something every day that makes the world wonderful, even if only fleetingly. I have often collected those moments and re-told them over dinner. Moments like the time I read a ridiculous advertisement on the bus and noticed a man across the aisle doing the same. A moment later we happened to catch the twinke in each other's eye, both chuckled, and smiled with the knowledge of two strangers sharing a joke. Those are the moments I'm looking for. Those gilmmering perfect moments.A few years ago I moved to the other side of the world for love. Recently that relationship heart-breakingly fell apart and I am in the process of starting my life anew. I've been focussed on sadness and grief, and a friend suggested I try journalling. Today as I was driving I was struck by one of those perfectly unexpected moments and started thinking about the depth they give my life, and that I should be focussing on those wonderful moments that happen every day. That was when I decided to start this project. For one year I am going to find one perfect moment every day.
Once in a while a day comes along that I know is going to be perfect, but most often moments of wonderful are as fleeting as a single heartbeat when something beautiful strikes a chord deep within me.
Today that moment lasted 2 minutes and 50 seconds as I listened to a song on the radio. I was driving along the 401 toward London, listening to the CBC. It is my great aunt and uncle's 65th wedding anniversary, and I was meeting them for brunch in Talbotville. Suddenly the opening chords of a song started that made me smile.
It is not a song that has particularly struck me in the past. Today though, it gave me that heart-bursting happiness as the music filled the car.
The song that came on was Susie Arioli singing "Beyond the sea". There was something about the quality of her voice combined with the words that had me imagining standing on the shore with the sun shining down and the breeze whipping my hair in my face.
Listen to it and see if you agree.
Image from http://www.brianbeasley.co.uk/gallery.asp
No comments:
Post a Comment